English as a Second Language (ESL)
District may request a visit to the ESL Model Program through this link.
“(Language) acquisition requires meaningful interaction in the target language–natural communication–in which speakers are concerned, not with the form of their utterances, but with the messages they are conveying and understanding.”
Dr. Stephen Krashen,
Professor Emeritus at the University of Southern California
Department of Education, Learning and Instruction
Our District’s English as a Second Language Program provides so much more than English instruction to students whose native language is not English. Teachers of ESL, Instructional Coaches, classroom/content area teachers, administrators and professional staff across the District’s school community are committed to the mission of supporting our English Learners in not only acquiring the English language, but also in continuing to advance their content area studies while learning the language. We maintain a commitment to ensuring that our faculty receives specialized training and support in best practices to meet the varying needs of our English Learners, while they are developing their English language skills.
Three magnet schools host the District’s ESL program: Adelphia Elementary (K-2), Ardena Elementary (3-5), and Howell Middle School North (6-8). Each magnet school environment provides a school-wide community that supports our ESL students’ pride in culture, home, and their own learning, in order to encourage continued student success and growth socially, emotionally, linguistically, and academically.
We proudly share that the English as a Second Language Program has been recognized by the New Jersey Department of Education as an ESL Model Program for 2018-2020. This honor marks over a decade of excellence, as our ESL Program has been consistently recognized in this fashion, by the New Jersey Department of Education, since 2008.
Our Teachers of English as a Second Language, in partnership with all faculty, provide our English Learners with highly personalized instruction, based on their individual language levels and academic experiences, in a language-rich, content-based learning environment. As a result, our English Learners continue to participate in their courses of core instruction, while they grow their English language proficiency. Instruction is aligned with the New Jersey Student Learning Standards, as well as the English Language Proficiency Standards developed by the WIDA Consortium.
The ESL Department:
- Jacqueline Moore, Supervisor of Professional Learning/State & Federal Programs
- Stella Cohen, Instructional Coach for ESL
- Rocio Bautista, Teacher of ESL, Adelphia
- Linda DeSimone, Teacher of ESL, Adelphia
- Maria Silvestri, Teacher of ESL, Adelphia
- Catherine DeFranza, Teacher of ESL, Ardena
- Patricia Pickering, Teacher of ESL, Ardena
- Stephanie Abelson, Teacher of ESL, North
- Student Resources
- Parent Resources
- Teacher Resources
- Professional Learning Resources, Webinars & Modules
- NJDOE Bilingual/ESL Podcast Episode 8
- WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards
- WIDA Can DO Descriptors
- WIDA PARENT Webinars
- Parent Workshops for Bilingual/ESL Families – Information Coming Soon!
- ACCESS for ELLs 2.0
- NJTESOL/NJBE Resources for Families
- NJTESOL/NJBE Resources for Students
- NJTESOL/NJBE Resources for ADULT English Learners
- Information for Spanish speaking parents
- Frequently Asked Questions – Coming Soon!