❝Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going.❞
‒Rita Mae Brown
¡Bienvenido! Bienvenue! Welcome to the Howell Township Public Schools World Language Webpage. Here you will find information about our Spanish and French programs, as well as links to informative sites.
All Howell Township students receive World Language instruction in grades K-8.
Students in Kindergarten and Grade 1 receive Spanish World Language instruction for twenty minutes per week, through Salsa, an introductory, Spanish, DVD-based program, designed for young children. In Grades 2-5, students receive Spanish World Language instruction for a total of forty minutes per week, with a certified Spanish teacher.
As students enter sixth grade, they may elect to continue their Spanish World Language studies, or to begin French World Language instruction. Middle school students attend either Spanish or French classes twice in every three-day cycle. Our goal is to have all students performing at the novice-high level of proficiency when they move on to high school, so that each one will be successful in Level II World Language classes.
Our staff of highly qualified Spanish and French teachers is dedicated to providing instruction that is aligned with the Student Learning Standard for World Languages. A link to the Student Learning Standard for World Languages is provided through this site. We strive to produce students who are proficient speakers, who are culturally aware, and who love language learning.
- World Language Curriculum for Spanish and French: Grades K-8
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Foreign Language Educators of New Jersey (FLENJ)
- New Jersey Student Learning Standard for World Languages
Resources for Spanish Students
- Little Explorers' Spanish Dictionary for Beginning Learners
- StudySpanish.com - Learning Tools for Middle School Students
- Enchanted Learning Spanish Theme Page
- Angelfire Spanish Language Activities
- Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
- SALSA videos
Resources for French Students