Parent Resources » FAQ


How do I set up a conference with my child's teacher?

Call the school to arrange for a conference at least one day in advance, if possible.

What should I do if my child is absent?

Call the school nurse each day the child is absent. Most of our schools have answering machines for your convenience. When the child returns to school, send a note with the student listing the dates and reason for absence. Parents/guardians will be notified by telephone of any absent pupil when the school has not heard from the parent/guardian.

What if my child becomes ill at school?

A student who becomes ill during school hours is taken to the nurse's office. If it becomes necessary for the student to be sent home because of illness, every attempt will be made to notify the parent/guardian.

How does my child take medicine at school?

The giving of medication in school should be kept at a minimum. All medications (medication shall include all medicines prescribed by a physician, a patent drug and aspirin) are kept in a locked cabinet and properly labeled. Written permission from parent/guardian and family physician is required. Contact the school nurse if you require this service.

According to Board of Education Policy #508, all medications shall be administered by the school nurse or parent/guardian. Therefore, if a student requires medication on a class trip, the student must be accompanied by his/her parent/guardian if the nurse is not available, who will administer the medication. An exception is made for children with asthma or other life threatening illness, who are allowed to self-administer medication when a nurse is not physically present at the scene. Written certification from a physician is required.

Children requiring medication during school hours should not be allowed to transport medication to school. If the child is to receive medication, the parent/guardian must personally deliver the medication to the nurse.

What if my child loses something at school?

To trace a lost article, call the school office.

What if my child left something at home?

Please deliver the item to the school office. Students will be notified and are responsible for claiming such items at the office.

What if we plan to move?

If you plan to move, please give the school office the information needed so they may prepare a transfer card. This card will be given to you to present to the next school district if you are moving out of state or will be forwarded by mail to the next school district if you are moving within the state. All textbooks, library books, and other school materials must be returned before the transfer is issued.

What if I have a problem?

Most problems can be resolved by speaking with the classroom teacher. Should this not prove satisfactory, make an appointment to discuss the matter with the school principal. If a satisfactory solution is not achieved by discussion with the principal, a written request for a conference should be sent to the Superintendent of Schools.

In order to eliminate interruptions of the instructional program and provide a teacher with the opportunity to collect appropriate data concerning the problem, please call for an appointment and schedule a conference at a mutually convenient time.

NOTE: See Complaints and Grievances from Members of the Community under the District Policy.

Who do I contact to get information about transportation to and from school?

For any transportation problem, please call the Transportation Department at 202-1740.