Fine Arts Department
“The arts must be at the heart of every child’s experience if they are to have a chance to dream and to create, to have beliefs, to carry a sense of cultural identity.”
-James D. Wolfensohn, former Chairman of The Kennedy Center
The Howell Township Public Schools have a long tradition of professionalism, technical expertise, and enthusiasm about Fine Arts education, as is demonstrated daily by our Fine Arts teaching staff. A growing body of research indicates that education in the Arts provides significant cognitive benefits and boosts academic achievement, beginning at an early age and continuing throughout a student’s educational career.
According to the National Arts Education Public Awareness Campaign (http://www.americansforthearts.org), young people who participate in the Arts benefit greatly.
- improve students' overall academic performance
- show that students actively engaged in Arts education are likely to have higher test scores than those with little to no involvement
- develop skills needed by the 21st century workforce: critical thinking, creative problem solving, effective communication, and teamwork
- teach children to be more tolerant and open
- allow young people to express themselves creatively and bolster their self-confidence
Howell Township's commitment to academic excellence is unsurpassed. The Arts are a key component of this process. The focus of this Department is to provide our students with a variety of experiences in order to foster a lifetime love of the Arts. Through attention to the NJCCCS for Visual and Performing Arts, students are provided opportunities to explore and express themselves through art, music, and performance pieces. Celebrate your child’s participation and encourage them to become the best they can be through the Arts!
Supervisor of Fine Arts